How do I set up my single tuner DVR with an antenna or cable (no cable box) and a VCR?
*All fields required unless otherwise indicated.
The setup information in this article applies to all single tuner TiVo Series2 DVRs (except for those with 542 serial number prefix, which do not have antenna connectors). The illustrations shown are specific to the Series2 DVR manufactured by TiVo (see alternate Series2 back panel) but can be adapted if you are using a different DVR.
- If you have a Series2 DT (dual tuner) DVR, you cannot use antenna input, but you can use basic cable. See How Do I Set Up My Dual Tuner DVR with Basic Cable?for more information.
- If you have a digital-to-analog converter box for your antenna signal, go to Digital-Converter Box Setup Instructions.
- If your television does not have Composite A/V Connectors, go to How Do I Set up my DVR with a TV that Only Has One Input (RF)?.
- If you have a DVD Recorder, simply substitute it for the VCR in the hookups below. If you have a DVD Player, hook it up to a different input on your TV.
NOTE: If your DVR did not come pre-activated, we recommend that you activate your service before beginning the following setup process.
To set up your TiVo DVR:
1. Connect the RF coaxial cable coming from the wall to the connector labeled CABLE/ANTENNA on the DVR.
2. Set the CH 3/4 switches on the back of the DVR and VCR to 3.
3. Connect an RF coaxial cable from the DVR RF OUT connector to the Antenna In connector on the VCR. 4. Connect an RF coaxial cable from the RF Out connector on the VCR to the Antenna In connector on the television.
5. Connect the composite A/V cables from the DVR Audio/Video OUTPUT connectors to the Audio/Video Input connectors on the television.
6. Set up either a network connection (recommended) or phone connection from the DVR to the TiVo service using one of the following methods.
- Wired network connection: If you have broadband and you want to use a wired connection, connect a wired USB network adapter (sold separately) to one of the USB ports on the DVR. Connect one end of an Ethernet cable (also sold separately) to the Ethernet connector on the adapter, and connect the other end to a port on your network hub or router. Refer to Which network adapters work with my TiVo DVR? for a list of compatible adapters.
- Wireless network connection: If you have broadband and you want to use a wireless connection, connect a wireless USB network adapter (sold separately) to one of the USB ports on the DVR. Go to Which network adapters work with my TiVo DVR?for a list of compatible adapters.
- Phone connection: If you need to use a phone line to connect to the TiVo service, connect the provided phone cord from the DVR to a nearby wall jack. Use the provided phone line splitter if the DVR is sharing the wall jack with a telephone.
NOTE: If you use a phone line to connect to the TiVo service and you have DSL, you will need to use a DSL Filter on your phone line to improve your connection.
7. Connect the power cord from a wall outlet to the back of the DVR.
8. Turn on your TV and VCR, and then tune to channel 3. If you see the "Welcome to TiVo" screen, you are ready to begin Guided Setup. If not, you need to find the correct input settings by pressing the Input or TV/Video button on your TV's remote control and/or your VCR remote control until you see the "Welcome to TiVo" screen.
NOTE: This information is only for TiVo-manufactured DVRs. If you need further help, please contact your manufacturer.