How to Use the TiVo Slide Remote
*All fields required unless otherwise indicated.
This article refers to a discontinued accessory that is no longer available.
For information about the current TiVo Slide Pro remote, click here.
The TiVo Slide remote is a plug-and-play QWERTY keyboard remote that makes your TiVo DVR even easier to use. The keyboard works by sending Bluetooth signals to a USB receiver that is installed in the TiVo DVR.
The integrated keyboard is functional only in Bluetooth mode. If the USB receiver is removed, the remote operates in IR (infrared) mode, where all buttons are functional except the keyboard. To determine which mode the remote is operating in, simply press a button. The activity indicator light on the remote flashes blue in Bluetooth mode, or amber in IR mode.
The TiVo Slide remote is compatible with the following TiVo DVRs:
- Roamio Series DVRs (with attached dongle)
- Premiere series DVRs running software version 14.5 or later.
- Series3 DVRs running software version 11.0h or later.
NOTE: The TiVo Slide remote is not supported on Series2 DT or earlier DVRs, or on DirecTV with TiVo or Comcast DVR with TiVo DVRs.
Installing your remote
- Open the battery compartment cover on the remote.
- Using the diagram in the compartment as a guide, insert the 2 supplied AA batteries, and then replace the cover.
- Plug the USB receiver into the USB port on the back of the TiVo DVR. It takes about a second for the DVR and receiver to recognize each other, and then your remote is ready to use. In rare instances, you may need to pair the remote to its USB receiver.
- If your TiVo DVR is in an enclosed cabinet, or the DVR does not seem to respond consistently to commands from your new remote, use the USB extension cable to reposition the USB receiver. To do this, insert the male end of the USB extension cable into a USB port on the TiVo DVR, insert the USB receiver into the female end of the extension cable, and then place the USB receiver near the front of the TiVo DVR.
NOTE: If both USB ports on your TiVo DVR are already in use, you can upgrade to a TiVo Wireless N adapter (which uses the Ethernet port instead of a USB port) or connect a supported USB hub to provide additional USB ports.
Programming your remote
You can program your remote to control your TV's power, input, volume, and mute functions. To do this:
- Turn on your TV using the TV's remote.
- Use your TiVo remote to navigate to the Remote Control Setup screen:
- Use the on-screen instructions to program your remote for the functions that are relevant to your setup at home.
From TiVo Central > Settings & Messages > Settings > Remote, CableCARD & Devices > Remote Control Setup
Tips & tricks
- To change the orientation of the navigation controls on the top keypad to match the ones on the bottom keypad when the TiVo Slide remote is open, hold down the TiVo and green "D" keys until the indicator light flashes blue twice. When the remote is closed, the controls on the top keypad will function in the standard way.
- To see how much battery power is left on your remote, go to Messages & Settings > Account & System Information > System Information and check the Battery Status. The TiVo Slide remote reports the battery status only when it is operating in Bluetooth mode. If you switch to IR mode by removing the USB receiver, the Battery Status shows the reading from the last time the TiVo Slide remote was operating in Bluetooth mode. (Other TiVo remotes, such as the ones that come with TiVo DVRs, are always in IR mode and do not report their battery status.)
- In TiVo Search, press ENTER to jump from the on-screen keypad to the search results.
- To turn off the backlight, press and hold the TiVo + THUMBS DOWN buttons for 3 seconds (extends battery life). To turn the backlight on again, press and hold TiVo + THUMBS UP buttons for 3 seconds (for operation in a darkened room).
- If your DVR uses a wireless adapter to connect to the TiVo service, leave at least 12" of space between the adapter body and the USB receiver.
- When the TiVo Slide remote is in pairing mode, other Bluetooth devices may "discover" it. However, the TiVo Slide remote is only supported for use with the TiVo DVRs listed above. For more information, go to Pairing the TiVo Slide remote.
IMPORTANT: You can assign a remote address to the TiVo Slide remote, but as soon as the USB receiver is removed from the USB port, the TiVo Slide's address reverts to 0. This means every TiVo DVR within range will respond to its commands. For best results, always leave the USB receiver plugged into the USB port on the TiVo DVR.