TiVo Desktop Plus for PC: Troubleshooting
*All fields required unless otherwise indicated.
The free version of TiVo Desktop will be available up to June 5, 2013, after which it will be discontinued. After June 5, only TiVo Desktop Plus will be available for new downloads. Existing copies of the free version of TiVo Desktop will still function normally.
PRICE REDUCED: You can now purchase TiVo Desktop Plus for $15.99, down from $24.95.
IMPORTANT! TiVo Desktop is NOT supported in Windows 8 or above.
The TiVo Desktop application is a complimentary feature, but in order to transfer your recordings to a Portable Media Device or web videos to your broadband enabled TiVo DVR, you will need to purchase a TiVo Desktop Plus KEY. You can purchase a Plus KEY when you download the latest version of TiVo Desktop.
The TiVo Plus Key is compatible with Windows XP and later. If you have a Macintosh computer, please see How to transfer shows from your TiVo® DVR to your Mac.
The TiVo Desktop Plus Key extends the file transfer and conversion abilities of TiVo Desktop. TiVo Desktop Plus allows you to automatically convert your TiVoToGo transfers to play on a variety of portable devices with video support, including the following:
- Apple iPod, Apple iPhone, Apple iPod Touch, Apple iPad
- BlackBerry Bold, BlackBerry Curve, BlackBerry Pearl, BlackBerry Storm, BlackBerry Tour
- Nokia N80
- Palm Pre, Palm Treo 650
- Sony Playstation Portable (PSP)
- Zune, Zune HD
- H.264 compatible devices
- MPEG-4 compatible devices
TiVo Desktop Plus also makes it possible to view videos, collected from the web, on your broadband connected TiVo DVR.
Supported formats include:
- Windows Media Video (.wmv)
- QuickTime Movie (.mov)
- MPEG-4/H.264 (.mp4, .m4v, .mp4v)
- MPEG-2 (.mpg, .mpeg, .mpe, .mp2, .mp2v, .mpv2)
- DivX or Xvid (.avi, .divx)
NOTE: Files with digital rights management (DRM) or other copy protection are not supported.
You can download the latest TiVo Desktop version and purchase a Plus Key by visiting tivo.com/desktop.
Yes. You will need to purchase one Plus Key for each computer running TiVo Desktop.
1. First, make sure you have the correct Plus Key code and have entered it correctly.
2. You can retrieve your serial # or unlock code by logging into My Account and going to your Order History.
3. If it is still not working please contact TiVo Customer Service.
If you purchased your TiVo Plus Key after 3/25/2010, you can easily retrieve it by logging into My Account and checking your Order History for your key information.
If you purchased your TiVo Plus Key prior to 3/25/2010, please call TiVo Customer Supportfor assistance retrieving your Plus license number.
1. Move or save video files to the My TiVo Recordings folder within the My Documents folder on your PC. If you already have video files in different folders, create shortcuts to the these folders and place them in the My TiVo Recordings folder.2. Select your computer from the DVR's Now Playing List. 3. Highlight a video in the list and press SELECT. Choose Watch on this TV to start the transfer. 4. When the transfer starts, you have the option of watching the video immediately or continuing to browse for additional videos to transfer.
For instructions on how to publish converted files to a Portable Media Device, see Which portable devices work with TiVo Desktop?
Yes, with TiVo Desktop 2.5 or later, you can convert and transfer a video from your TiVo Desktop Now Playing List to your portable device. Open the Now Playing List in TiVo Desktop, Right-click on the title of the video you wish to convert, and select Convert for... from the drop down menu.
No. You can only convert files to one format at a time.
NOTE: If you are having trouble transferring recordings from your TiVo DVR to your computer, visit TiVoToGo Troubleshooting.
I cancelled my transfer before it had time to finish.
Cancelled transfers will not be converted. If you cancelled a transfer before it was finished, you will need to begin the transfer again and complete the process.
I had to shut down my computer before the transfer could be converted.
If the conversion process is interrupted, the conversion will not complete. Be sure to give each conversion sufficient time to finish. Be sure your computer is not set to go into standby mode, hibernate, or shut down.
What does the "delete the original transferred files after conversion" setting mean?
Choosing this setting, will cause the transferred .tivo file to be deleted once it has been converted to a portable media format.
If the conversion does not succeed, the TiVo recording will not be deleted. In order to successfully convert the file, delete the recording from TiVo Desktop and begin the transfer again.
Need additional help? Send us an email.