TiVo App for Android: Troubleshooting
*All fields required unless otherwise indicated.
This article explains how to troubleshoot problems with the TiVo App on your Android device.
If you are trying to stream shows from your DVR to your Android device while you're away from home, see Out-of-Home Streaming.
Select a symptom from the list below for troubleshooting instructions:
- My Android device can't find my TiVo DVR
NOTE: HTC Android devices need to be running Android 2.2.2.
If you are experiencing issues locating your TiVo DVR through the TiVo App for Android device:
- Make sure your Android Phone or Tablet is using the Wi-Fi connection and not 3G/4G.
- Make sure the "Network Remote Control" setting on your TiVo DVR is enabled. To verify, go to TiVo Central > Settings and Messages > Settings > Remote Control, CableCARD, and Devices > Network Remote Control.
- Verify that your TiVo DVR is connected to your network. To do this:
- Series3 DVR: From TiVo Central go to Messages & Settings > Settings > Phone & Network > View network diagnostics > TiVo service connection
- Premiere series DVR: From TiVo Central > Settings and Messages > Settings > Network & Phone > View network diagnostics > Test Internet connection
- Powercycle the TiVo DVR. Once restarted, connect it with the Android device again.
- If still unsuccessful, then restart your network router by unplugging it, waiting 30 seconds and plugging it back in. Once the router restarts and your Android device has reconnected to your router, attempt to locate and connect to your DVR on your Android device again.
NOTE: The TiVo app uses the Bonjour discovery system and in some instances, certain routers do not support this system. Please check with your router manufacturer to determine if there is a defect and if upgrade is available.
- If you are using a wireless connection on your TiVo DVRs, you may want to consider using a wired connection through Ethernet or MoCA. This will improve the speed of your video downloads.
- My Android device can't connect using my Media Access Key
Beginning with TiVo App for Android 2.0, you must log in to the app using your TiVo account name and password. MAK login is no longer supported.
- My Android device can only connect to my TiVo DVR using My Account login
Make sure your Android device is using the Wi-Fi connection and not 3G/4G.
- I get the message "In order to use this application, you need to be connected to the Internet"
- Make sure your Android device is not in "Airplane Mode."
- Verify that your router and modem are operational.
- When selecting some programs in My Shows, the information section lists "To Be Announced" or "No Information available"
Programs that have been transferred to your TiVo DVR from another TiVo DVR or TiVo Desktop currently do not transfer the data required by the TiVo App for Android to display the program information. The program information is required for the app to perform functions such as Watch now.
- I renamed my TiVo DVR and now the TiVo App for Android lists both the new name and old and name, and won't let me select either
The local network has cached the old name. Please reboot your TiVo DVR to clear out the cache.
- I have enabled Network Remote Control on my TiVo Series3 DVR but the TiVo App for Android still prompts me to enable Network Remote Control
On TiVo Series3 DVRs, it is sometimes necessary to reboot the TiVo DVR for the Network Remote Control setting to take effect. Please try rebooting your TiVo DVR.
- The keyboard does not work with some applications/features on my TiVo Series3 DVR
When using a TiVo Series3 DVR, the keyboard only works when using Search by title and WishList.
- My TiVo DVR shows up as "DVR-####" after scanning for TiVo DVRs
The TiVo App for Android could not fully assess your TiVo DVR information due to a failure with Bonjour Discovery on your network. Instead of showing your TiVo DVR's name, your TiVo DVR is being identified as "DVR-####", where "####" is the last four characters of your TiVo serial number. The TiVo App can still connect to the TiVo DVR in this state and all features supported on the TiVo App for the DVR will work as normal.
- I can't use Out-of-Home Streaming with my Android device
Out-of-Home Streaming is currently not available on Android devices. TiVo is actively working to provide this functionality, and will announce Android streaming capability when it becomes available. For more information on TiVo App for Android, see TiVo app for smartphones and tablets.