Hulu Plus on TiVo
*All fields required unless otherwise indicated.
- You must have a Roamio Series or Premiere Series DVR running software version 14.8 or higher. You can verify your software version by going to TiVo Central and then Settings & Messages > Account & System Information > System Information. If you are not currently running software version 14.8 or higher, please see TiVo software version information to receive the new software.
- Your TiVo DVR must be connected to the TiVo Service via broadband.
- You must have a subscription to Hulu Plus. Free Hulu accounts are not supported.
Hulu Plus, click here.
1. In My Account go to Change DVR Preferences and confirm that 'Enable video downloads' is checked.
NOTE: If it is checked, but you are still unable to access Hulu Plus, see I am unable to access Hulu Plus.
2. Access Hulu Plus on your TiVo DVR:
TiVo with HD menus: From TiVo Central go to Find TV, Movies, & Videos > Hulu Plus.
TiVo with SD menus: From TiVo Central go to Music, Photos, & Showcases > Hulu Plus.
3. Link your TiVo DVR with your Hulu account by following the on-screen prompts. When asked if you’re already a Hulu Plus subscriber, say ‘Yes’. You will be provided with a code which you must enter online at www.hulu.com/activate. Alternatively, you can use enter your Hulu Plus login credentials through the log-in screen to activate the device.
4. Watch a show or movie by selecting from a list of offerings, searching for a title, or viewing saved items in your Queue.
As long as you are a Hulu Plus and TiVo subscriber, no additional payment is required.
If you give your DVR away or want to switch to another Hulu Plus account, you will need to unlink the account linked to your DVR. Use one of the following to do this:
Unlinking through the Hulu Plus Application on your DVR:
1. Open Hulu Plus.
2. Push the Up arrow.
3. Brackets should now be around ‘log out.’
4. Select to ‘log out.’
Unlinking through your Hulu Plus account on your computer:
1. Access your Hulu Plus online account.
2. Go to Account > Manage my Devices.
3. Locate the DVR you wish to remove. The TSN of your DVR is the Device ID.
4. Click on the Trash Can by the DVR you wish to remove. If you have trouble deactivating your device, contact Hulu Plus Customer Support for further assistance.
Closed Captioning can be enabled by pausing a video and selecting the 'CC' option. Press Select to change it to Off or On.
You can turn the Hulu Plus Application off by going to TiVo Central and then Messages & Settings > Settings > Channels > Video Provider List. Select Hulu Plus to uncheck (disable) or check (enable) the DVR.
Because the video is streaming rewind, instant-replay, and fast-forward may behave a little differently than you’ve experienced in regular playback. Pause, play and slow-motion will function normally.
An unlimited number of DVRs and other devices may be attached to a single Hulu Plus account; however, only one DVR or device at a time can stream content from the one account.
After you have begun streaming on one DVR, all other DVRs or devices will display the following message when attempted to stream Hulu Plus videos:
Your Hulu Plus subscription allows you to watch one video at a time. To continue watching here, please close any Hulu Plus videos you may be watching on other Units."
NOTE: If this message appears and no device is currently streaming Hulu Plus content, please contact Hulu Plus Customer Support.
While watching a video, its quality can be changed by hitting Pause, then selecting the ‘Video Quality’ setting, and then selecting a quality setting.
However, if you’re experiencing lower video quality than expected, but have not chosen a lower quality, you may have too slow of broadband speed. The following are minimum recommended download speeds:
- 650kbps or greater for SD content (360p)
- 1.5mbps or greater for HD content (720p)
If you’re ISP service package does not meet these minimum requirements, contact your ISP about upgrading your service package.
If your ISP service package does meet these requirements, see How do I fix a network connection issue? for tips to resolve the issue.
If you experience any of the following issues, you should report the problem at Hulu.com:
- Audio does not match the picture or is out-of-sync.
- Parts of the audio are missing or cut-off.
- No subtitles on a foreign language film.
- The picture is blurry.
- The picture is unwatchable or missing.
- The wrong movie/TV episode started playing.
You can search for shows using the Hulu Search feature. From the main Hulu Plus screen, press the DOWN arrow on your TiVo remote to move to the menu items at the bottom of the page. Use the LEFT and RIGHT arrows to scroll through the menu and highlight Search, then press SELECT.
NOTE: Hulu search doesn’t support special characters (i.e. ! , $ , @). Currently TiVo Search will not find shows available in Hulu Plus.
Some movies or TV shows may be available on Hulu.com, however, they may be unavailable to stream to your TiVo DVR due to a limitation on copyrights. Hulu is continuously working with content providers to secure these rights for more movies and television series.
For information about video availability, visit the Hulu FAQ.
If Enable Video Downloads is not checked under DVR Preferences in My Account, Hulu Plus may not work. Do the following to resolve this:
1. Verify the names of the TiVo DVRs on your account.
2. Verify Enable Video Downloads has been enabled.
3. Make sure your DVR is setup to use broadband.
4. Force a connection to the TiVo service. Wait 15 minutes and try Hulu Plus again.
Also, if your Privacy Setting is not set correctly, this can prevent Hulu Plus from working correctly. For information on checking this see Privacy: General Questions, Privacy Status and Information Collection Options.
When you play Hulu Plus videos, you are streaming content over the network to your DVR. If your DVR is in the process of downloading web content, Amazon Instant Viewing videos, Music Choice Videos, or streaming audio, then your download or transfer will stop. It will begin again once you exit the Hulu Plus application.
TiVoToGo and Multi-Room Viewing will experience slower performance while the Hulu Plus application is in use. Use of these features may also result in a choppy video or buffering due to slowed network speeds. See How do I fix a network connection issue? for information if this occurs.
If network connectivity is interrupted during the playback of a Hulu Plus video, the application may exit or the video may freeze or pixilate. Once the network issue has been resolved, functionality will be restored.
NOTE: If your DVR is stuck on a frozen video, the DVR may need to be restarted.
If this continues to happen, does your ISP service package meet the minimum requirements?
If your ISP package does meet the minimum requirements, are you getting the expected speeds? You can check this using an online speed test at such as speakeasy.net/speedtest or speedtest.net. If the results are not what you expected, contact your ISP for assistance.
Aside from speed, there are other factors which can impact your network and prevent you from enjoying uninterrupted viewing with your Hulu Plus application. Examples of some of those factors are:
- Transferring a video with Multi-Room viewing.
- Transferring a video with TiVo Desktop or TiVoToGo.
- Another DVR on your network using Pandora, Rhapsody, or Live365.
- Another DVR on the network streaming a Netflix video.
- An Amazon, Blockbuster, or TiVo Desktop Plus video is downloading.
- Downloading or uploading or a large file to or from a computer.
- A wireless adapter with poor signal quality.
See General network troubleshooting tips for ideas on how to improve you network quality.