Channels not changing using a cable box or satellite receiver with IR control cable
*All fields required unless otherwise indicated.
To resolve a problem with channels not changing while using a cable box or satellite receiver with IR control cable, perform one or more of the following steps:
WARNING: Press the Guide button to verify that your channel list is set up. If your channel list is not set up, you will not be able to change channels using CHAN UP/DOWN buttons. For more information, visit How Can I Change What is Displayed in the TiVo Live Guide?
1. Ensure that the cable box or satellite receiver is turned on and receiving power.
NOTE: If the cable box or satellite receiver is turned on and receiving power, but you are unable to see any of the menu screens, go to My DVR Powers on, but I Do Not See Any Screens.
2. Be certain you are using the TiVo DVR remote, and that you aim it so the TiVo button points toward the DVR rather than at the cable box or satellite receiver.
3. Ensure that the purple end of the IR control cable is plugged into the Channel Change IR or Control Out IR connector on the back of the DVR.
4. Verify that the IR control cable emitters are correctly positioned in front of the IR sensors on the cable box or satellite receiver. For more information, go to How Do I Verify My IR Cable Connections?
NOTE: For information about configuring IR control on your DVR, go to How Do I Change Channels Using IR Control?
5. Unplug the cable box or satellite receiver from the wall, and then plug it back in again. Try changing channels with the TiVo remote again.
6. Try using the cable box or satellite receiver remote to change channels. If the remote does not work, contact the manufacturer or service provider for assistance.
7. Try powercycling the DVR. For information on powercycling the DVR, go to How Do I Restart or Powercycle the DVR?
8. If your DVR is controlling your cable or satellite box but is unreliable or inconsistent, go to Building an IR Tent.
9. If you are using a satellite receiver, you may want to try using serial control instead of IR control. See How Do I Set Up My Single Tuner DVR with a Cable Box or Satellite Receiver and a VCR?
10. If you have an RCA satellite receiver with low-speed data control, you may be able to use a Home Control Cable.
NOTE: Home Control Cables are available to purchase at the TiVo Store.