Amazon Instant Video - Downloading Issues
*All fields required unless otherwise indicated.
This article will help you troubleshoot issues downloading Amazon content to your TiVo box.
Other Amazon help articles include:
NOTE: Amazon Prime is currently not supported on TiVo boxes.
The TiVo Amazon On Demand experience gives you access to the complete Amazon Instant Video library-all you need to do is link your Amazon.com account with your TiVo DVR.
Amazon Prime users can link their accounts just like any non-Amazon-Prime user, however, free Prime Instant Video content is not available through the TiVo Amazon On Demand experience. Amazon Prime users linked to TiVo can access the general Amazon Instant Video Library instead.
For more information on Amazon Instant Video and Amazon Prime Instant Video, visit Amazon’s Instant Video site.
1. Log in to your TiVo account.
NOTE: Access to the My Account page requires an account. If you do not have an account, take a minute to sign up.
2. Select "DVR Preferences."
3. Verify the names of the TiVo DVRs on your account.
4. Select "Enable Video Downloads" next to the TiVo DVR you would like displayed in your Amazon Instant Video account.
5. Make sure your DVR is setup to use broadband.
6. Force a connection to the TiVo service by going to TiVo Central > Messages and Settings > Settings > Phone and Network > Connect to the TiVo service now.
7. Wait 15 minutes.
After making a purchase online, the screen will update itself and display progress automatically.
1. Go to Your Video Library, which will display all of the videos you have purchased.
2. To check your current download(s), locate the TiVo DVR listed under "All Your Amazon Instant Video" in the left panel.
3. Click "Download Queue" to confirm that the video is being downloaded.
Due to restrictions from the video rights holders, most newly released movies will occasionally become temporarily unavailable for re-download from Your Video Library – even after you have already been purchased the video.
During this "Pay-TV Blackout Window," certain programs will be temporarily unavailable from the Amazon Instant Video catalog and Your Video Library. This happens during the program’s run on a pay-cable channel.
Amazon will automatically replace and make the video available to you through Your Video Library once the "Pay-TV Blackout Window" has ended.
You can only use these steps to transfer purchased videos to another TiVo DVR. Rental videos can only be downloaded to one TiVo DVR.
1. Go to "Your Video Library" on Amazon.com.
2. Click the video you would like to transfer.
3. Click Download Licenses.
4. Select from the desired TiVo box from the drop-down list.
5. Click Download
6. The download will automatically begin downloading to the selected TiVo box.
Rental videos are available to start watching for 30 days after you rent it, unless otherwise specified on its product detail page.
When you purchase Amazon Instant Videos, your rights to view the video do not expire.
NOTE: The license agreement for the videos you purchase allows you to download an Amazon Instant Video onto two different TiVo DVRs at one time.
High Definition downloads are available from Amazon Instant Video to your eligible TiVo DVR. HD movies are available only from your TiVo DVR, not from Amazon.com (online). HD television shows are available both from your TiVo DVR and from Amazon.com (online).
To select HD movies and television shows from your TiVo DVR, look for titles followed by the [HD] symbol.
TiVo with HD menus: From TiVo Central go to Find TV, Movies, & Videos > Amazon Instant Video.
TiVo with SD menus: From TiVo Central go to Video On Demand > Amazon Instant Video.
Video download times will vary due to connection speed, network activity, and the size of the video. The High Definition version of a video may take up to four times longer to download than the standard definition version.
NOTE: Be aware that while you may be able to download HD programs to your Series2, you will not be able to play these programs.
You can only use these steps to transfer purchased videos to another TiVo DVR. Rental videos can only be downloaded to one DVR.
1. Delete the video from your "Now Playing" list.
2. Go to "Your Video Library" on Amazon.com.
3. Click the video you would like to transfer. A download button will appear in the top right of the window.
4. Select the DVR from the drop-down list.
5. Click "Download."
The amount of space remaining on your TiVo DVR at the time of each Amazon Instant Video download determines how much you can download. You can make room on your TiVo DVR by deleting programs from your Now Playing list.
Your TiVo DVR downloads purchased Amazon Instant Videos at the best quality available. If you have reached the storage capacity of your TiVo, you may want to consider adding an Expander for additional space. Please see DVR Expander FAQ for more information.
While average download speeds will vary, but here are some key factors that might affect your video download speed:
- Your Internet Service provider and the internet service package you have purchased.
- Wired vs. wireless connection (a wired connection is faster).
- The length of video being downloaded
- The proximity of the wireless adapter to your wireless router.
- You can view the connection quality under the networking menu.
The download of a two-hour video may take between 1-4 hours, depending on your network connection and other factors:
- On Series3 and Premiere DVRs, use Transfer History to determine the speed of the last transfer. If it was lower than expected, go to General network troubleshooting tips for information on how to optimize your network.
- If you frequently purchase videos, you might want to consider upgrading your service through your broadband provider.
- If you are using a wireless connection, you may want to consider using a wired Ethernet or MoCA connection.