TiVo App for iOS: Troubleshooting
*All fields required unless otherwise indicated.
This article explains how to troubleshoot problems with the TiVo App on your iOS device.
If you are looking for more information about using the TiVo App for iOS devices, see TiVo App for iOS: Use.
If you still need to install the TiVo App for iOS, see TiVo App for iOS: Installation.
If you are trying to stream shows from your DVR to your iOS device while you're away from home, see Out-of-Home Streaming.
- I can't find the software version on my TiVo App for iOS
To find your iOS App software version: Press the gear icon at the top of the screen, then scroll down to Version to find your software version.
Click here to see a screen shot:
- Error: "Problem playing recording" after a successful setup (TiVo Stream users only)
Some TiVo App for iOS customers have reported that they receive an error after setting up the app with a standalone TiVo Stream. The app reports that the setup successfully completed, but when streaming a program, the error "Problem playing recording" appears. This issue will be fixed soon. In the meantime, perform the following steps to resolve the issue:
- From TiVo Central > Settings & Messages > Settings > Network > Connect to the TiVo Service now. This will ensure that the latest version of the software is installed.
- In the TiVo App for iOS, restart the TiVo Stream.
If these steps do not resolve the issue, contact TiVo Customer Support
- My iOS device can't find my TiVo DVR
If you are experiencing issues locating your TiVo devices through the TiVo App for iOS:
- Make sure you have the updated version of the TiVo App and have updated to the most current iOS version.
- Make sure you are using your local Wi-Fi connection instead of 3G/4G network.
- (Series3 DVRs only) Make sure you have enabled the Network Remote Control setting on your TiVo DVR:
From TiVo Central, go to Messages & Settings > Settings > Remote, CableCARD, and Devices > Network Remote Control.
- Verify that you have connected your TiVo equipment to your network:
Premiere series DVRs, TiVo Minis, and Previews: From TiVo Central, go to Settings & Messages > Settings > Network > View network diagnostics > Test Internet connection
Series3 HD and HD DVRs: From TiVo Central, go to Messages & Settings > Settings > Phone & Network > View network diagnostics > TiVo service connection
If the test is successful, then your TiVo has a proper connection to the internet.
- Powercycle the DVR; once restarted, locate the DVR on your iOS device again.
- Restart your network router by unplugging it, waiting 30 seconds, and plugging it back in. Once the router restarts and you have reconnected your iOS device to your network, try to locate the TiVo equipment on your app again.
NOTE: The TiVo app uses the Bonjour discovery system and in some instances, certain routers do not support this system. Please check with your router manufacturer to determine if there is a defect and if upgrade is available.
- If you are using a wireless connection on your TiVo DVRs, you may want to consider using a wired connection through Ethernet or MoCA. This will improve the speed of your video downloads.
IMPORTANT! The TiVo Stream will not work on a wireless connection. Both the TiVo Stream and the Premiere series DVR you are streaming from must be connected to the same router by Ethernet or MoCA.
- My iOS device can't connect using my Media Access Key
Verify that you are attempting to connect your TiVo DVR to the device. If you share a network connection, the iOS device may be attempting to connect to a TiVo DVR on another account. If you are positive that the TiVo DVR to which you are attempting to connect is your DVR, verify that you entered the correct Media Access Key. You can do this by opening TiVo Central, and selecting Settings and Messages > Account and System Information > Media Access Key.
IMPORTANT: Newly activated TiVo DVRs should receive their Media Access Keys within 24-48 hours of activation.
If the Media Access Key is still not available from the TiVo DVR after that time then please attempt this workaround:
- Sign in to your account on http://www.tivo.com.
- Once logged in: Select My TiVo > My Account > Change DVR preferences.
- Find the TiVo DVR that does not show the Media Access Key and uncheck both Video Sharing and Enable video downloads.
- Click Save on the bottom.
- Return to Change DVR preferences.
- On the same TiVo DVR, re-enable Video Sharing and Enable video downloads.
NOTE: To do this, repeat Steps 3-4.
- Click Save on the bottom.
- Wait 15 minutes and then force a connectionto the TiVo service.
- After the service call is complete, check again for the Media Access Key on the TiVo box.
- If you still do not see the Media Access Key, contact TiVo Customer Support.
- My iOS device can only connect to my TiVo DVR using My Account login
Some iOS devices can connect to the Internet using either Wi-Fi or 3G/4G. Make sure your iOS device is using the Wi-Fi connection and not 3G/4G.
- I get the message "In order to use this application, you need to be connected to the Internet"
- Make sure your iOS device is not in Airplane Mode.
- Verify that your router and modem are operational.
- When I select some programs in My Shows, the information section lists "To Be Announced" or "No Information available"
Programs you have transferred to your TiVo DVR from another TiVo DVR or TiVo Desktop currently do not transfer the data required by the TiVo App to display the program information. The program information is required for the app to perform functions such as Watch now.
- After renaming my TiVo DVR the TiVo App lists both the old and new name, and will not let me select either
The local network has cached the old name. Please reboot your TiVo DVR to clear out the cache.
- I have enabled Network Remote Control on my TiVo Series3 DVR but the TiVo App still prompts me to enable network remote control
On TiVo Series3 DVRs, it is sometimes necessary to reboot the DVR for the Network Remote Control setting to take effect. Please reboot your DVR.
- The keyboard does not work with some applications/features on my TiVo Series3 DVR
When using a TiVo Series3 DVR, the keyboard only works when using Search by title and WishList.
- My TiVo DVR shows up as "DVR-####" after scanning for TiVo DVRs
The TiVo App could not fully assess your TiVo box information due to a failure with Bonjour Discovery on your network. Instead of showing your TiVo DVR’s name, your TiVo DVR is being identified as “DVR-####”, where “####” is the last four characters of your TiVo serial number. The TiVo App can still connect to the TiVo DVR in this state and all features supported on the TiVo App for the DVR will work as normal.
- The TiVo App closes immediately after opening with ‘Unsupported Device’ or ‘Unauthorized Modifications Detected’ error (version 2.0 or later)
If the TiVo App closes shortly after opening the application, your iOS device may currently be, or has previously been, modified.
Version 2.0 or later of the TiVo App for iOS has the ability to stream video content from your Premiere (to learn more, visit www.tivo.com/stream) and TiVo is required to implemented industry standard security measures to ensure video content is protected from use on devices with unauthorized software or modifications.
These unauthorized modifications to your iOS device often make permanent changes to the device and even after uninstalling or reversing the modification, the TiVo App may still not provide access which the application needs to operate.