My TiVo DVR Doesn't Respond to my TiVo Remote Control
*All fields required unless otherwise indicated.
If you want to control two TiVo boxes with one remote, go to Controlling two TiVo boxes with one remote.
If your TiVo box is not responding to your Remote Control, perform one or more of the following steps
- Check to make sure that you are using the remote control that came with your TiVo box. It will have a TiVo button on it.
- Press any button on the remote control to verify that the red light (amber light for Premiere remotes) above the TiVo button on the remote control flashes. If it does not, perform the following:
NOTE: If you are using a Crestron remote, please see Crestron integration for HD TiVo boxes
- Check to verify the batteries are inserted correctly. Both batteries should be inserted negative end first.
- Try removing the batteries from the remote. Wait 30 seconds and replace the batteries.
- Try replacing the batteries with new batteries. If this is a new TiVo DVR, try batteries that did not come with the box.
- If the light still will not respond, continue to Step 11.
- Hold down the Pause and TiVo buttons for 5 seconds, until the red light (amber light for Premiere remotes) on the remote comes on.
- Use the number buttons to enter 0. A remote control set to remote address 0 will control any DVR.
NOTE: After performing a global reset, you can reprogram your remote. For information on programming the remote, go to How to Program My Remote to Control a TV/Stereo?
NOTE: If you do not see the TiVo start up screen, verify you are viewing the correct input channel on your TV. For more information, go to My box Powers on, but I Do Not See Any Screens.
NOTE: If you believe your remote control is under warranty, call our customer service team at 877-367-8486 to arrange a replacement.
Interference from a Television
- While the TV is off, press the ‘Select’ button on the TiVo remote. If the box's yellow light flashes, the box understood the command. Proceed to step 2. If the box's yellow light did not turn on, the command was not received by the box. See Television functions that may cause remote interference below.
- While the TV is on, press the ‘Select’ button and notice if the yellow light responds. If it does, the television is not likely the cause of the issue. If the light does not appear, turn the TV off and try again. If the light appears when the television is off, but does not appear when the television is on, proceed to step 3.
- Do you have a plasma or LCD TV?
Yes: Go to Television functions that may cause remote interference
No: Please contact TiVo Customer Support for assistance.
Plasma TVs placed too close to the IR Receiver of the box can cause issues which prevent the IR commands from being properly received by the box. Move the box away from the TV and try again.
Certain LCD TV backlights can cause IR interference which prevents IR commands from reaching the box. Some of these types of televisions have features or settings that modify the backlight levels and can create IR interference. Examples include: Energy Saving settings or auto dimming features which adjusts the backlight settings based on ambient light. Check your TV settings to see if any of these settings are active. If so, disable it or try modifying the backlight setting manually to a higher or lower level until the box is able to respond.Chat with a TiVo representative.
To get help from other TiVo users, visit the TiVo Help Forums.