Roamio Remote Control
*All fields required unless otherwise indicated.
The newest family of TiVo DVRs—the Roamio Series—includes a new and upgraded remote control. The TiVo Roamio remote retains all of the functionality you love and offers new features that make this the fastest, most versatile, and easiest to use TiVo remote ever!
This article explains how to set up your new Roamio remote, how to use the new features, and how to troubleshoot common remote control issues.
The information in this article pertains to the Roamio Remote. If you have a Slide Pro Remote (with a QWERTY keyboard) see TiVo Slide Pro Remote for more information.
This article uses some terms that might be unfamiliar. Read through this list of terms and definitions if you need clarification:
IR mode: In infrared (IR) mode, the remote relies on a direct line of sight to control the DVR via infrared signals. The Roamio remote is set in IR mode when you take it out of the box. IR mode does not require the remote to be paired to a specific DVR.
RF mode: In radio frequency (RF) mode, the remote does not require a direct line of sight. Rather, the remote can control a DVR anywhere within a radius of approximately 30 feet. To enter RF mode, you must pair the remote to a specific DVR
Pairing mode: The Roamio remote control supports two methods for pairing:
- New Pairing mode: The Roamio remote control that comes with your Roamio Series DVRs is already in New Pairing mode. This pairing mode allows you to pair the DVR and remote control automatically by pressing any button on the remote control.
- Allow Pairing mode: This pairing mode is for manually adding a new remote control or transferring a remote control from one DVR to another. When you put the remote control in Allow Pairing mode, it will pair with any available Roamio Series DVR that is accepting pairing requests within range.
Global Reset: The Global Reset function unpairs the remote control from the paired DVR and clears any other remote settings, such as IR codes for your TV or other A/V devices.
Remote activity indicator colors
When the remote control is in Allow Pairing mode, the activity indicator (the TiVo logo's antennae on the TiVo button) slowly flashes. When the remote control successfully pairs with a DVR, the activity indicator flashes quickly five times and then stops.
When you press buttons on the remote, the activity indicator flashes different colors to indicate what kind of signal the remote is sending:
- If the activity indicator flashes red, the remote is sending IR commands to the DVR.
- If the activity indicator flashes amber, the remote is paired and is sending RF commands to the DVR.
NOTE: Roamio Series DVRs can be paired with up to 10 remote controls.
The Roamio remote works in IR mode like any other TiVo remote control. However, pairing the remote with your Roamio Series DVR enables RF communication, which eliminates the need for line of sight to your DVR. In RF mode, you can control your DVR from anywhere within a radius of approximately 30 feet.
NOTE: You can pair a Roamio remote to only one DVR at a time.
Pairing the remote to your DVR for the first time
The remote control that comes with your Roamio Series DVR is in New Pairing mode (For more information about pairing modes see Overview ). After you plug in your DVR and it powers up, press any button on the remote to pair it with the DVR.
NOTE: If you have multiple Roamio Series DVRs, set them up one at a time to ensure that the Roamio remote pairs to the correct DVR.
In New Pairing mode, when you press a button, the remote control sends out an IR signal that:
- Performs the command you requested
- Requests pairing with any unpaired Roamio Series DVRs within range
The remote activity indicator (the TiVo logo's antennae on the TiVo button) flashes red when the remote sends the IR signal, then flashes amber while the remote attempts to find and pair with a DVR.
Using the Roamio remote
Use the descriptions below to learn more about the function of each remote button:
- TiVo Button: Takes you to TiVo Central; pressing it a second time takes you to My Shows.
- Arrow Buttons: Used to navigate the TiVo menus and the TiVo Live Guide. The Up and Down arrows scroll through the menus. The Right arrow selects a menu option. The Left arrow takes you back to the previous screen.
- TV Power: Can be programmed to turn your TV or stereo on/off. For information on programming the TV Power button, go to How do I program my remote to control a TV/stereo?
- Input: Changes the input source on your TV. Use this button to select the input the TiVo DVR is connected to or to switch to other equipment like a VCR or DVD player. For information on programming the TV Input button, go to How do I program my remote to control a TV/stereo?
- Back: Returns you to the previous screen, state, or function within the TiVo menus.
- Select: Used in the TiVo menus or the Live Guide to choose menu options or shows to record.
- Volume: Increases and decreases the volume on your TV or stereo. For information on programming the Volume button, go to How do I program my remote to control a TV/stereo?
- Guide: Takes you to the TiVo Live Guide where you can choose programs to watch or record. Pressing it again clears the guide from the screen.
- Thumbs Down: Lets you give shows you don't like a negative rating. You can give a show up to three Thumbs Down. These ratings are used by the DVR to choose programs to record for TiVo Suggestions.
- Mute: Turns off the audio of your TV or stereo. For information on programming the Mute button, go to How do I program my remote to control a TV/stereo?
- Play: Start playing a recorded show from Now Playing. When you are using Pause, Rewind, Fast Forward or Slow, pressing Play resumes playing at normal speed.
- Pause: Freezes a recorded show or live TV. Pressing it again resumes playing.
- Rewind: Rewinds a program. Press it up to three times for three speeds. Press it a fourth time to resume playing. When the DVR is paused, it allows you to go back frame-by-frame.
- Instant Replay: Repeats the last 8 seconds of the program on a recording or live TV.
- A, B, C, D: Sort and filter views. Look for the onscreen tips for how to use these buttons.
- Number Buttons: Allow you to enter channel numbers.
- Clear: Removes the channel banner on live TV or a recorded program. You can also use it to delete programs from Now Playing.
- Activity Indicator: Indicates when a button on the remote is pressed. When you press a button in IR mode the antennae will flash red. When you press a button in RF mode the antennae will flash amber.
- Live TV: Takes you to live TV from the TiVo screens.
- Info: Allows you to see the channel banner while watching live TV; pressing it again makes the banner disappear. It also allows you to see the Program Details screen while in the program information screen, giving you additional information about the program.
- Zoom: Returns to full screen and plays what was previously playing.
- Channel: Changes the channel on the DVR and allows you to page up or down while in the TiVo menus.
- Thumbs Up: Lets you give shows you like a positive rating. You can give a show up to three Thumbs Up. These ratings are used by the DVR to choose programs to record for TiVo Suggestions.
- Record: Starts recording the show you are currently watching.
- Fast Forward: Fast forwards through a program. Press it up to three times for three speeds. Press it a fourth time to resume playing. When the DVR is paused, it allows you to advance frame-by-frame.
- Slow: Plays a recording or live TV in slow motion.
- Advance: Jumps to the end or the beginning of the show if you are watching a recording. In live TV, you can use it to catch up to the live broadcast. While viewing a recorded playback, it lets you to Skip to Tick when fast forwarding or rewinding.
- Enter/Last: Returns you to the last channel the DVR was tuned to in live TV. In the program guide, press it to see Guide Options.
To switch modes
Switching to IR mode
To enter IR mode, press and hold the TiVo+Red C buttons until the activity indicator on the remote control lights. The remote remains in IR mode until you enter the key combination that puts the remote into RF mode.
Switching to RF mode
Entering RF mode causes a paired remote that is currently operating in IR mode to switch to RF mode. This procedure has no effect in New Pairing mode or when the remote is unpaired. To change the remote control from IR mode to RF mode, press and hold the TiVo+Green D buttons until the activity indicator on the remote control lights.
To use the remote finder feature (Roamio Plus and Roamio Pro only)
Are you always losing your remote? The TiVo Roamio remote uses a remote finder feature to help you locate your missing remote. Just touch the amber image of the remote control on the front of the DVR to activate a familiar TiVo jingle on the remote. When you find the remote, press any button to deactivate the sound, or just wait 15 seconds for it to turn off automatically.
IMPORTANT: Only Roamio Plus and Pro DVRs support the remote finder feature, the 4-tuner Roamio does not have a remote finder. In addition, the Roamio remote must be in RF mode.
To perform a global reset
The Global Reset function unpairs the Roamio remote from the paired DVR, then clears any other remote settings, such as IR codes for your television or other A/V device. Use this function to unpair a remote and return it to the out-of-box settings.
IMPORTANT: You will need both the paired Roamio remote and the DVR to perform a global reset. If your paired remote has been lost or damaged, you will need to use a new remote in IR mode to put the DVR in a pairing state, then pair the new remote to the DVR. For instructions, see To Pair a different remote to your DVR.
To perform a global reset:
- Press and hold the TiVo + TV Power buttons until the activity indicator blinks red.
- Press Thumbs Down three times, then press Enter.
The activity indicator will flash red three times if the global reset is successful.
To pair a different remote to your DVR
You can control the Roamio Series DVR with a different remote or transfer the remote to another DVR by performing these steps:
Prepare the DVR for pairing:
- Press the Live TV button to go to Live TV.
- Press Clear, Enter, Clear, 220, Clear.
The DVR is now in a new pairing state.
Put the Roamio remote into Allow Pairing mode:
Press and hold the TiVo+Back buttons until the activity indicator light turns red. The remote control will then send pairing requests for 30 seconds (as indicated by the flashing amber activity indicator).
The remote will pair with any DVR that is accepting pairing requests.
NOTE: If pairing is unsuccessful, the remote will return to its original state (either paired or unpaired).
Customizing the Roamio remote
Using the remote to control TV power, volume, or A/V equipment
You can program the Roamio remote to control power, volume, input, and mute on your TV. The remote can also control an A/V receiver. For instructions, go to How do I program my remote to control a TV/stereo?
My Roamio remote will not work in RF mode
Although the Roamio remote in RF mode has a range of approximately 30 feet, certain materials or other devices using RF signal can interfere with the RF signal from your remote. Specifically, make sure that you are more than 18 inches away from any router or Wi-Fi access point when using the remote in RF mode.
If you are unable to use RF mode, you can switch your remote to IR mode. For instructions, see Switching to IR mode.
If your remote doesn't function in either RF mode or IR mode, replace your batteries and try again.
If your remote still doesn't function in RF mode or IR mode, contact TiVo Customer Support.
The amber light on my remote blinks for several seconds whenever I press a button
In the event that you have paired an RF remote to your Roamio Series DVR, but you later have to replace the remote, the new remote will not yet be paired to your DVR. It will automatically revert to IR mode. When this is the case, the amber light will blink for 30 seconds after every button press, but the functionality of the remote will otherwise be unchanged.
To make the blinking yellow light stop, and then pair the remote to your DVR for RF functionality:
- Press TiVo + C until the TiVo mascot's antennae blink red.
- Now press any button and confirm that the TiVo mascot's antennae blink red with each button press (it should no longer flash amber).
- Press the Live TV button.
- Press Clear, Enter, Clear, 221, Clear (this will send a signal to clear any RF pairings on the DVR).
- Hold down TiVo + Back on the remote until the TiVo mascot's antennae blink amber (the remote is now ready to pair with the DVR).
- Now press any button on the remote and confirm that the TiVo mascot's antennae blink amber with each button press.
- The remote is now paired in RF mode with the DVR.
I can't open the battery cover
The Roamio Remote has a slightly different battery cover than previous TiVo remote controls. Instead of sliding the battery cover, place a finger in the indentation at the bottom of the battery cover. Then pull the cover out away from the remote.
If you need additional help, contact TiVo Customer Support.