Using the Learning Feature of TiVo Learning Remotes
*All fields required unless otherwise indicated.
The TiVo Glo Premium and Slide remotes are learning remotes, meaning they can learn certain functions from other remote control devices, without requiring a device code.
To use the learning function, do the following:
1. Press the TIVO and SELECT buttons simultaneously, and hold them for 3 seconds until the red or amber activity light remains lit. The remote is now in “learning mode.”
2. On the TiVo remote, press and release the button you want it to learn (TV POWER, for example). The activity light will flash once to acknowledge the button press, and then remain lit.
3. Point the remotes directly at each other, no more than 4 inches apart.
4. Press the corresponding button on the TV or A/V receiver remote (Power, for example) and hold until the TiVo remote flashes in response.
5. If learning is successful, the activity light will flash 4 times. (If learning is not successful, the light will blink 10 times very quickly. You will need to repeat steps 1-4.)
6. Repeat steps 2-5 until you have trained the TV POWER, MUTE, INPUT, VOL UP and VOL DOWN functions.
NOTE: In learning mode, VOL UP and VOL DOWN are separate buttons, so you must "train" them individually.
7. When you are finished, press the TIVO button to exit learning mode and return the remote to normal operation.
8. In some instances, the learning remote may be unable to learn from another remote. If this happens, click here for additional assistance.
Learning remotes can control power for up to three different devices.
- To learn power for a second device, follow all of the instructions above but for Step 2, press the number 1 before pressing TV Power.
- To learn power for a third device, follow all of the instructions above but for Step 2, press the number 2 before pressing TV Power.
NOTE: If you use the TiVo remote to control power for more than one device, it is possible that one or more devices may not receive the Power On signal (for example, the TV may power on but the A/V receiver may not). Pressing Power again may turn off one device as the other turns on. If this happens frequently, you may need to turn on power for one device individually, either with its own remote or by pressing the Power button on the device itself.
To control the backlighting on the remote control, go to Using the backlight on a TiVo Learning remote.
If you need to reset your remote control to factory settings, go to How Do I Perform a Global Reset for My Remote Control?