Controlling two TiVo DVRs with one remote
*All fields required unless otherwise indicated.
IMPORTANT: This procedure is for a TiVo remote control that has a 1-2 switch. Premiere, and Premiere XL, and TiVo Slide remotes do not have this switch, so they can only control one device at a time. You can use a TiVo remote that has a 1-2 switch to control a Premiere or Premiere XL, but these remotes do not have the A, B, C, and D button shortcuts for the Premiere HD menus.
To control two TiVo DVRs with separate remotes, see Controlling Two TiVo DVRs with Separate Remotes.
Controlling two DVRS with one remote
1. Prepare the DVRs. Cover the area around the shiny, dark plastic window on the front of one DVR (either one—call this one #2). You can use a dark piece of cloth or a magazine—something thick and opaque. This prevents DVR #2 from receiving signals. Point the remote control at DVR #1, and go to TiVo Central by pressing the TiVo button. Go to the System Information screen; for instructions, see How Do I Access the System Information Screen?Press the DOWN arrow until you see the item Remote Address.
2. Prepare the remote control. Move the DVR SWITCH to 1. Point the remote away from DVR #1 and cover the front end of the remote with your hand. Press and hold the PAUSE and TiVo buttons simultaneously until the red light at the end of the remote control comes on, remains steady, and then stays on when you release the buttons.
3. Assign side 1 on the DVR SWITCH to DVR#1. Point the remote control at DVR#1. Use the number buttons on the remote control to enter a number 1. Press the RIGHT arrow. On the screen, the Remote Address changes from 0 to 1. Press the TiVo button.
NOTE: You have now programmed side 1 of the DVR switch to control DVR #1. Now continue to Step 4 and set up side 2. If you do not, side 2 will still control both DVRs.
4. Prepare the DVRs again. Change the input source on your TV so that it displays DVR #2. Do this by pressing the input, source, or TV/Video button on your TV. Then remove the cover from the plastic window of DVR#2 and cover the plastic window of DVR#1. Finally, go to the System Information screen of DVR #2, and press DOWN arrow until you see Remote Address displayed.
5. Assign side 2 on the DVR SWITCH to DVR#2. Move the DVR SWITCH to 2. Repeat Step 2, above. Then use the number buttons on the remote to enter a 2, and press RIGHT arrow. Finally, press the TiVo button. Now when you set the DVR SWITCH to 1, it will only control DVR #1 and when you set it to 2, it will only control DVR #2.
IMPORTANT: If you have a TiVo Slide remote and you remove the USB receiver, its remote address will be set to 0. A remote that has an address of 0 can control any TiVo box within its range. If you have two TiVo boxes in the same room, make sure the USB receiver for the Slide remote is always installed in the USB port of the box that you want to control with it.
Resetting the DVR SWITCH
To reset the DVR switch so that both sides will control any TiVo box:
1. Move the DVR SWITCH to 1.
2. Press and hold the PAUSE and TiVo buttons simultaneously until the red light at the end of the remote control comes on and remains steady.
3. Using the number buttons on the remote control, enter 0. The red light at the end of the remote control will flash.
4. To complete the reset, move the DVR SWITCH to 2 and repeat Steps 2 and 3.