What do the Buttons on the TiVo Standard Remote do?
*All fields required unless otherwise indicated.
For information on the buttons on the TiVo remote, please refer to the following picture:
- The TiVo Button takes you to TiVo Central; pressing it a second time takes you to Now Playing.
- The Arrow Buttons are used to navigate the TiVo menus and the TiVo Live Guide. The up and down arrows allow you to scroll through the menus. The right arrow will select a menu option. The left arrow takes you back to the last screen you were on.
- If programmed, TV Power turns your TV or stereo on/off. For information on programming the TV Power button, go to How do I program my remote to control a TV/stereo?
- If programmed, TV Input changes the input source on your TV. Use this button to select the input the TiVo Digital Video Recorder (DVR) is connected to or to switch to other equipment like a VCR or DVD player. For information on programming the TV Input button, go to How do I program my remote to control a TV/stereo?
- Window or PIP is not active for TiVo Series2 and earlier models; functionality may be added to this button in a future TiVo update. Aspect on all HD TiVo remotes allows you to adjust the aspect ratio between Full, Panel, and Zoom.
- Select is used in the TiVo menus or the Live Guide to choose menu options or shows to record.
- Thumbs Down lets you give shows you don't like a negative rating. You can give a show up to three thumbs down. These ratings are used by the DVR to choose programs to record for TiVo Suggestions.
- If programmed, Mute turns off the audio of your TV or stereo. For information on programming the Mute button, go to How do I program my remote to control a TV/stereo?
- If programmed, Volume increases and decreases the volume on your TV or stereo. For information on programming the Volume button, go to How do I program my remote to control a TV/stereo?
- Play will start playing a recorded show from Now Playing. When you are using pause, rewind, fast-forward or slow, pressing Play will resume playing at normal speed.
- Pause freezes a recorded show or live TV. Pressing it again resumes playing.
- Back (rewind) rewinds a program. Press it up to three times for three speeds. Press it a fourth time to resume playing. When the DVR is paused, it allows you to go back frame-by-frame.
- Instant Replay repeats the last 8 seconds of the program on a recording or live TV.
- Number buttons allow you to enter channel numbers.
- Clear removes the channel banner on live TV or a recorded program. You can also use it to delete programs from Now Playing.
- The Remote Activity Light indicates when a button on the remote is pressed.
- Live TV takes you to live TV from the TiVo screens.
- Display or Info allows you to see the channel banner while watching live TV; pressing it again makes it disappear. It also allows you to see the Program Details screen while in the program information screen, giving you additional information about the program.
- Guide takes you to the TiVo Live Guide where you can choose programs to watch or record. Pressing it again clears the guide from the screen.
- Thumb Up lets you give shows you like a positive rating. You can give a show up to three thumbs up. These ratings are used by the DVR to choose programs to record for TiVo Suggestions.
- Channel/Page up/down changes the channel on the DVR and allows you to page up or down while in the TiVo menus.
- Record starts recording the show you are currently watching.
- FWD (fast-forward) fast-forwards through a program. Press it up to three times for three speeds. Press it a fourth time to resume playing. When the DVR is paused, it allows you to advance frame-by-frame.
- Slow plays a recording or live TV in slow motion.
- Advance jumps to the end or the beginning of the show if you are watching a recording. If you are watching live TV, you can use it to catch up to the live broadcast. While viewing a recorded playback, this button allows you to Skip to Tick when fast-forwarding or rewinding.
- The DVR switch allows you to select which DVR to control, when the remote is programmed to control two DVRs. For information on programming the remote to control two DVRs, go to Controlling two TiVo DVRs with one remote.
- Enter/Last returns you to the last channel the DVR was tuned to in live TV.
Were you looking for What do the buttons on the TiVo Premiere remote do?
For Roamio Series remotes, see Roamio Remote Control.