How do I set up my Series2 Dual Tuner DVR with satellite and basic cable?
*All fields required unless otherwise indicated.
These setup instructions are for a Series2 DT (dual tuner) DVR. During this procedure, take special care to connect each cable from the OUT jack of one device to the IN jack of another. Never connect an Out to an Out or an In to an In.
If you have a single tuner Series2 (or earlier) DVR, see How Do I Set Up My Single Tuner DVR?
With the Series2 DT DVR, you can watch/record two analog channels or one analog and one digital channel at a time. If you have satellite service without basic cable, you only have a digital signal, so the Series2 DT DVR will operate exactly the same as a single tuner box. To set up the DVR with satellite only, see How Do I Set up My Single Tuner DVR with a Cable Box or Satellite Receiver and a VCR?
If your DVR did not come pre-activated, we recommend that you activate your TiVo Service before beginning the following setup process.
If you have a satellite box with basic cable, use the following procedure to set up your DVR:
1. Connect your satellite cable from the wall to your satellite box (if it is not already connected).
2. Connect a composite cable (red, white, and yellow connectors) from the Audio/Video Out jacks on the back of the satellite box to the Audio Video Input jacks on the back of the DVR.
3. Connect an RF coaxial cable from the Basic Cable jack on the wall to the RF In jack on the back of the DVR.
4. Connect a composite cable (red, white, and yellow connectors) from the Audio Video Output jacks on the back of the DVR (you can use either set of output jacks, but we recommend set 1) to the composite input jacks on your TV.
- If you are connecting a VCR or DVD recorder and your TV has only one connector, skip this step.
- If you are NOT connecting a VCR or DVD recorder, go to Step 8 after connecting the composite cable.
- If you are NOT connecting a VCR or DVD recorder and your TV only has one connector, connect a coax cable from the RF Out connector on the DVR to the connector on the TV (usually labeled Antenna In), and then go to Step 8.
5. Connect an RF coaxial cable from the RF OUT connector on the DVR to the Antenna In connector on the VCR or DVD recorder.
6. Connect an RF coaxial cable from the RF Out connector on the VCR or DVD recorder to the Antenna In connector on the TV.
7. Check the Channel switch on the back of the DVR to see whether it is set to 3 or 4. Set the switch on the VCR or DVD recorder to match this setting. (Refer to the VCR's or DVD recorder's product manual for the switch location.)
8. Set up either a network connection (recommended) or phone connection from the DVR to the TiVo Service using one of the following methods.
- Wired network connection: The Series2 DT has a built-in Ethernet port. If you have a broadband connection to the internet, connect one end of an Ethernet cable (sold separately) to the Ethernet connector on the back of the DVR, and connect the other end to a port on your network hub or router.
- Wireless network connection: If you have broadband, but need to use a wireless connection, connect a wireless USB network adapter (sold separately) to one of the USB ports on the DVR. Go to Which network adapters work with my TiVo DVR? for a list of compatible adapters.
- Phone connection: If you need to use a phone line to connect to the TiVo service, connect the provided phone cord from the DVR to a nearby wall jack. Use the provided phone line splitter if the DVR is sharing the wall jack with a telephone.
NOTE: If you need to use a phone line to connect to the TiVo service, and you have DSL, you will need to use a DSL Filter on your phone line to improve your connection.
9. Connect a channel changing cable from the DVR to the satellite box, as follows:
- Connect the purple connector on the IR cable to the Channel Changing/IR connector on the DVR.
- Place one of the emitters on top of the satellite box and one on the bottom, and position the emitters so that they stick out about 1 Â½ inches from the front of the satellite box, directly in front of the IR sensor. Use the provided adhesive strips to keep the emitters in place. (For more information about locating IR sensors and positioning IR emitters, see How Do I Verify My IR Cable Connections?)
10. Connect the power cord from a wall outlet to the back of the DVR
11. Turn on your TV and tune it to channel 3 or 4 (depending on the switch setting on the back of the DVR). If you see the "Welcome to TiVo" screen, you are ready to begin Guided Setup. Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the setup of your DVR.
NOTE: If you do not see the "Welcome to TiVo" screen, you need to find the correct input settings by pressing the Input or TV/Video button on your TV remote control until you see this screen. If you cycle through all the input settings and still do not see the "Welcome to TiVo," make sure all the equipment is powered on, check all your connections, starting with Step 1, and try again.