Screen Reader or Text-to-Speech (TTS) is a form of speech synthesis that converts text into a spoken voice output.
Table of Contents
TiVo is now optimized for Screen Reader
Video content information, setup options and configuration changes are now optimized to interacts with Screen Reader. Your TiVo is programmed to read menus, program descriptions, channel numbers and similar selected options in a way that is optimized to interpret acronyms and similar formatting. For example:
- "8:00pm" in the Program Guide is read back as "eight o'clock PM," not "eight colon zero zero PM."
- Location in the menu system is also optimized: "You are in My Shows."
- Menu path/user input options: "Press the left button to return to the previous menu, or press the down or right arrow buttons to select menu items."
For more information about accessibility, see: www.tivo.com/accessibility
Screen Reader with the Guide & Program Information
The entire guide is not audible, so not all visible text will be read. Only one program at a time, when a show is highlighted/selected, is audible. Program information displayed on the screen, but not necessarily from the Guide, is also audible. Examples of audible information in the Guide:
- Program names, information along with the time, channel number, and network name.
- Programs currently playing will make audible, the program information shown on the screen.
|E.g. "Small Soldiers, 1998, 6:36pm, 6:10pm-8:00pm, PG-13, 227, Encore."|
- Future programs will make audible the program information, description and selection choices are audible, plus any selection choices in the program menu.
|E.g. "Bulletproof, 1996, 1 hr 30 min, 7:30pm-9:00pm, A mobster's goons pursue a fugitive underling turning state's evidence to an undercover policeman he once shot, HD, CC, Stereo, SAP, Intercast, R, Action Adventure, Damon Wayans, Adam Sandler, James Caan, Record this movie."|
- Moving the cursor down from the program descriptions, will make audible "Recording Options" and "Explore This Show." Selecting either of these will present the sub-menus, which are also optimized.
Optimized TiVo Menus & Features
Our goal is to provide the best, most accessible experience. This is a list of optimized menus that should not be considered exhaustive:
- Top level menu and sub-menu item selections in TiVo Central
- Suggestions, What to Watch Now, OTT apps, and any other items under "My Shows"
- Search, OnePass & Manage
- Wishlist Searches
- Music and Photos
- Create and modify OnePass
- Browse TV & Movies
- Netflix 4.3
Turning Screen Reader On and Off on Your TiVo
From Remote Control:
- Hold down button "A" for a minimum of 2 seconds. This will turn on Screen Reader or Text-to-Speech.
- If the “A” button is pressed for more than 2 seconds again, it will turn off Screen Reader.
- If “A” button is pressed for less than 2 seconds, the “A” will perform its “normal” function.
- When Channel Up or Down button is pressed, the channel and program information is audible.
- When the INFO button on the remote control is pressed, program information is audible.
From User Interface:
- Screen Reader can be turned on/off only through the remote control. However, there are explanations in the Settings & Help menu that describe how to turn on/off Screen Reader.
For device running the TiVo Experience 4 (Software Version: 21.X.)
|TiVo Device||(From TiVo Home)|
|BOLT Series & Roamio Series ||MENU > USER PREFERENCE > SCREEN READER|
For device running the previous User Interface or TiVo Experience 3 (Software Version: 20.X. or earlier)
|TiVo Device||(From TiVo Central)|
|BOLT Series & Roamio Series ||Settings & Messages > User Preferences > Screen Reader|
|Premiere HD DVRs||Settings & Messages > Help > Accessibility > Vision|
Turning Screen Reader On and Off on Your Mobile TiVo Experience
Please contact your device's support team for assistance on accessing their features.
- iOS devices call the feature "VoiceOver."
- Android Device call the feature "TalkBack."
- Find more specific information about the Apps here: [ www.tivo.com/discover/mobile-apps/ ]
Screen Reader or Text-to-Speech is generally governed by your browser, please contact your browser's support team for specific questions. There is an icon that appears on the screen when a program is played through TiVo Online that will all you to toggle Screen Reader or Text-to-Speech on and off.