TiVo Desktop/Desktop Plus for PC: Installation and Use
As of fall 2015, TiVo Desktop is no longer available for purchase. However, TiVo will continue to support your existing Desktop installation. If you still have your product key, you can use the installation instructions below to use Desktop.
Note: Transferring videos from a PC to a TiVo DVR is no longer compatible or supported.
TiVo Desktop: Compatibility
TiVo Desktop Plus is supported on Roamio Series (TiVo Experience 3 software version 20.X) and earlier DVRs.
TiVo Desktop Plus may work on TiVo BOLT Series UESs but is not supported; the Plex App, TiVo App for iOS, and TiVo App for Android can be used to achieve the same results.
TiVo Desktop is not supported on TiVo EDGE Series and will not work on Series 1 DVRs.
Minimum System Requirements for TiVo Desktop Plus:
Certain features of TiVo Desktop Plus may require more computing resources.
Recommended system requirements:
Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 or 10
1 GHz Pentium 2 or equivalent processor
512 MB RAM
5 GB free disk space, plus an additional 1 to 3 GB for each hour of Standard Definition (SD) programming you transfer, depending on the quality of the recording.
Storage and playback of High Definition (HD) content
Converting TiVo recordings to a portable format
Viewing web content on your TiVo box
2.2 GHz Pentium 4 or equivalent processor
1 GB RAM
5 GB free disk space, plus an additional 5GB for each hour of HD programming you transfer.
Note: TiVo Desktop Plus requires Windows XP with Service Pack 2 or later, Windows Vista, or Windows 7, 8 or 10.
See the TiVo Desktop Plus Read Me file after installation for more information.
Installing TiVo Desktop Plus for PC
Use the instructions below to install TiVo Desktop Plus on your Windows PC.
WARNING: Do not attempt to install or uninstall TiVo Desktop Plus using the Windows Remote Desktop feature. The TiVo Desktop Plus installation and uninstallation programs do not support Remote Access functionality. To install TiVo Desktop Plus for Windows, you must have Administrator or Power User administrative rights on your computer.
Note: When linking a TiVo account with TiVo Desktop, use all capital letters for the portion of your email address before the "@" --for example: JANESMITH@aol.com not JaneSmith@aol.com.
If you have a previous version of TiVo Desktop installed on your PC, uninstall the previous version (see Uninstalling Desktop Plus, below, and then use the TiVo Desktop Cleaner utilityto remove portions of the program that may prevent you from installing the latest version of TiVo Desktop Plus.
Note:TiVo Desktop Cleanerwill not remove your Media Access Key or TiVo Desktop Plus key information.
1. Download the latest version of TiVo Desktop Plus for PC.
2. If you are running J. River Media Center or Moodlogic, shut down the software before installing TiVo Desktop. Right-click on their respective icons in the Windows taskbar and choose "Exit."
If you have installed any third-party TiVo Desktop plug-ins, including third-party WMA plug-ins or our own example plug-ins from the TiVo Desktop Plug-in SDK, they must be uninstalled before installing TiVo Desktop 2.7 or higher.
Verify that you are logged into Windows using an account with full administrator privileges, then double-click the TiVo Desktop installer icon.
Note: If you receive a Windows security message, select Run. If you encounter a warning message indicating a previous version of TiVo Desktop needs to uninstalled, see Uninstalling TiVo Desktop, below.
1. On the Welcome screen, click Next.
2. Read the License Agreement, and if you agree, click to select I accept the license agreement and then click Next.
Note: If you receive a message indicating that a Codec is Not Found, see What codecs are supported for playing TiVoToGo files on my PC?
3. Read the Readme Information and click Next.
4. Click Next if you want TiVo Desktop Plus to be installed in the default location. Otherwise, click Browse and select the directory where you would like the application to install.
5. Enter your Media Access Key. Click Next to continue. You can find your Media Access Key in either of these two places:
Devices on TiVo Experience 3 (Software Version: 20.X or 11.X):
Menu path TiVo Central
Settings and Messages > Help > Account & System Information > Media Access Key
Settings & Messages > Account & System Info > Media Access Key
Series 3 & earlier
Messages & Settings > Account & System Information > Media Access Key
Online: Log into yourMy TiVo account, then click on the "Media Access Key" link on the right side of your screen.
6. Choose which Installation Options you want by checking or unchecking the boxes next to each option. Click Next to continue.
7. Read the Internet settings information and click Next to begin the installation.
8. Approve any changes to your network or firewall settings that you are asked to accept during or immediately after the installation process.
9. Once the installation is completed, click Finish.
10. If you have a firewall installed on your computer, make sure you allow the following applications:
Refer to your firewall software or hardware manufacturer for information on how to do this.
Note: You may be able to play files transferred to your PC using TiVoToGo in other media players, but you may experience video quality problems and other playback issues.
12. Enjoy using TiVo Desktop Plus!
Fast Transfer Speed in Tivo Desktop 2.8.1+
Fast Transfer speed is a new feature added to TiVo Desktop Version 2.8.1. It allows a much faster transfer rate when transferring files from a DVR to a PC. This version of Tivo Desktop defaults to the “fastest” method available when transferring files with a Premiere Series or newer DVR.
It is only available for the following devices:
TiVo Roamio Series
TiVo Premiere Series
Note: Fast Transfer Speed in Tivo Desktop 2.8.1+ feature cannot be used on earlier TiVo DVRs.
Important: TiVo Desktop Plus may work on TiVo BOLT Series UESs but is NOT supported; the Plex App, TiVo App for iOS, and TiVo App for Android can be used to achieve the same results.
IMPORTANT: Transfers created by the Fast Transfer method cannot be transferred to HD and earlier boxes.
When you reach the Installation Options screen during installation:
1. Check Use the fastest method available when transferring files from my TiVo DVR.
2. Click Next.
IMPORTANT: Transfers created by the faster method cannot be transferred to HD and earlier boxes.
To turn on fastest transfer method:
1.Click File. 2. Click Preferences. 3. Under File Transfer Speed click Files 4. Check Use the fastest method available when transferring files from my TiVo DVR. 5. Click OK.
Changing where your TiVo Desktop Plus programs are saved
You can change the location where recorded programs are saved at any time, without needing to reinstall TiVo Desktop Plus.
Changing your file location is easy! Just follow these instructions:
1. File > Preferences 2.Under File Locations > My TiVo Recordings, you'll see a line that by default reads C:\Users\[your user name]\Documents\My TiVo Recordings 3. Click Change. 4. Highlight the new folder where you want to save your TiVo recordings, and click OK. 5. You'll be returned to the Preferences window. Click OK. 6. And you're finished! All future recordings - including previously-scheduled Season Pass recordings - will be saved to this folder.
Note: This change will ONLY affect future recordings. You must manually move past recordings to this location in order for them to appear on your TiVo DVR.
Uninstalling TiVo Desktop Plus
To uninstall TiVo Desktop for Windows, perform the following steps:
1. Exit all other programs on your PC. 2. From Start, select Settings, and then click Control Panel.
Note: The location of the Control Panel may vary based on the version of Windows.
3. From the Control Panel, click Add/Remove Programs.
If you are using a Microsoft Windows Vista PC, click the Programs category within the Control Panel window, then Programs and Features. If you are using a Microsoft Windows 10, click the Control Panel window, then select Programs and Features.
4. Within the Add/Remove Programs window, scroll to TiVo Desktop. Click Change/Remove. The Installation Maintenance screen appears.
If you are using a Microsoft Windows Vista PC/ Windows 10, scroll to and select the TiVo Desktop entry within the Programs and Features window. Click the Uninstall/Change button.
Note: If you are uninstalling TiVo Desktop Plus from a Microsoft Windows Vista PC/ Windows 10 and you see a message indicating that processes are running, click Ignore to continue the uninstall.
5. Choose your removal option and click Next:
Select Remove if you wish to only remove the TiVo Desktop Plus software while leaving your transferred recordings, MAK information, and TiVo Plus Key data intact.
Select Remove All if you wish to remove the TiVo Desktop program and ALL associated files (including transferred recordings, MAK information, and TiVo Plus Key data).
If you wish to reinstall TiVo Desktop, you will need toContact TiVo Supportfor a link to re-download TiVo Desktop without incurring additional cost.
Using TiVo Desktop Plus
Note: Transferring videos from a PC to a TiVo DVR is no longer compatible or supported.
Publish your personal music library to your TiVo DVR for playback through your TV and home entertainment system
Publish your personal photo library to your TiVo DVR for viewing photos and slideshows on your TV
Transfer videos between your TiVo DVR and PC (MPEG-2, .vob, and .tivo files only)
Convert shows for playback on the following devices: Apple iPod, Apple iPad, Apple iPhone, Apple iPod Touch, BlackBerry Bold, BlackBerry Curve, BlackBerry Pearl, BlackBerry Storm, BlackBerry Tour, Nokia N80, Palm Pre, Palm Treo 650, Sony Playstation Portable (PSP), Zune, Zune HD, H.264 compatible devices, MPEG-4 compatible devices.
Transfer videos to your TiVo DVR for viewing on your TV. (QuickTime Movie, Windows Media Video, MPEG-4, DivX, Xvid, MPEG-2, .tivo)
Choose from a larger selection of TiVo Video Downloads through your TiVo DVR.
Music and photos
How to stream music from your PC to your TiVo DVR
How to view photos from your PC on your TiVo DVR
How to unpublish music and photos using TiVo Desktop?
To unpublish music and photos using TiVo Desktop for Windows, perform the following steps:
1. From the system tray at the bottom right-hand corner of the screen, double-click the TiVo icon. (You can also click the TiVo Desktop icon on your desktop). 2. Click the Share Music, Photos, & Video icon on the left side of the window. 3. Click the Music tab. 4. Click to select the music files that you want to unpublish, and then click the Remove button. 5. Click the Photos tab. 6. Click to select the photo files that you want to unpublish, and then click the Remove button.
How do I publish my converted files onto my Portable Media Device?
For instructions on how to publish converted files to a Portable Media Device, see Which portable devices work with TiVo Desktop?
Can I convert the recordings that I transferred to my computer before I upgraded to TiVo Desktop with the Plus Key?
Yes, with TiVo Desktop 2.5 or later, you can convert and transfer a video from your TiVo Desktop Now Playing List to your portable device. Open the Now Playing List in TiVo Desktop, Right-click on the title of the video you wish to convert, and select Convert for... from the drop down menu.
Can I convert my files to multiple formats at one time?
No. You can only convert files to one format at a time.