To use the learning function
1. Press and hold the TiVo
buttons simultaneously for 3 seconds. When the red or amber activity
light remains lit, the remote is in "learning mode."
2. On the TiVo remote, press and release the button you want it to learn (TV Power
, for example). The activity
light will flash once to acknowledge the button press, and then remain lit.
3. Point the remotes directly at each other, no more than 1 inch apart.
4. Press and hold
the corresponding button on the TV or A/V receiver remote (Power, for example) until the
TiVo remote flashes in response.
5. If learning is successful
, the activity light will flash 4 times. Move on to Step 6.
If learning is not successful
, the light will flash 10 times very quickly. You will need to repeat steps 1–4 before
6. Repeat steps 2–5 until you have trained the TV Power
, Volume Up
, and Volume
In learning mode, Volume Up
and Volume Down
are separate buttons, so you must train them
7. When you are finished, press the TiVo
button to exit learning mode and return the remote to normal operation.
8. In some instances, the learning remote may be unable to learn from another remote. If this happens, see Remote Control Programming Codes
for additional assistance.
Learning remotes can control power for up to three different devicesSlide Pro remote
- To learn power for a second device, follow all of the instructions above, but for Step 2 press the number 0 before pressing TV Power.
All other learning remotes
- To learn power for a third device, follow all of the instructions above, but for Step 2 press the number 1 before pressing TV Power.
- To learn power for a second device, follow all of the instructions above, but for Step 2 press the number 1 before pressing TV Power.
- To learn power for a third device, follow all of the instructions above, but for Step 2 press the number 2 before pressing TV Power.
If you use the TiVo remote to control power for more than one device, it is possible that one or more
devices may not receive the Power On signal (for example, the TV may power on but the A/V receiver may
not). Pressing Power
again may turn off one device as the other turns on. If this happens frequently, you may
need to turn on power for one device individually, either with its own remote or by pressing the Power
button on the device itself.
To control the backlighting on the remote control, go to How to Use the Backlight on a TiVo Learning Remote
If you need to reset your remote control to factory settings, go to How to Perform a Global Reset for my Remote Control